Tuesday, August 23, 2005

You know that mental filter that we each develop through the years of our maturation into adulthood? We all have one, some of them work more efficiently than others. Some seem to not work at all. I have an imperfect mental filter. I catch some thoughts before they come out verbally and others just make their way out for the world to hear and upon my ears hearing the exit of such content my filter kicks in and tells me that such content would have been better off staying in my head. Ever had such an occassion?

Here's one such tale of the filter that kicked in too late.

Picture this: Me, in front of 150 colleagues and their families, including all of our firm's partners and top executives. I have a microphone and my voice is amplified throughout the audience. I am to announce the results of our golf tournament, pass out prizes, draw for door prizes, etc. An assignment I enjoy and am comfortable with. In the fun of the tournament we offer prizes to the two "high-score" teams. For those non-golfers, those are the losing teams. Our high-score teams were receiving a dozen Nike golf balls per player. So, after announcing the names of the players on the high-score teams, mind you they are all men and one such man is the founder of our firm, I proceed with the following statement:
"Gentlemen, please come up and collect your balls."

Immediately after this statement crossed my lips, my filter (which failed to filter such content before its exit) told me how horribly wrong this statement sounded. The room erupts in laughter and I am every shade of red. As the founder of our firm approaches, another one of the partners hands him "his balls" and makes the comment "Bet you feel like a real man now."

Ever had a faulty filter?

5 Comments:

Blogger Mary said...

I would say you had a blonde moment, but that would be harsh. Actually, I really don't think yours was that bad. I have had several moments like this. The absolute WORST was with a patient. I don't do many gynecologic procedures, but occasionally I do. In this instance I was draining an ovarian cyst. I was about to touch . . . wait a second my filter just went off. I'll save this for a face to face meeting...

7:29 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

Yes.

9:32 AM  
Blogger Tisra said...

It looks like Mary's filter is operational *right now*. Good job Mary.

Proverbs 10:19 "he who holds his tongue is wise".

And, yes, Amber- we've all had those moments. One of mine was when I worked in a doctor's office and mispronounced a patient's last name...Fuqua.

10:48 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

Do any of you remember the story where I told Mandi Tracy that I liked her "Big Red Sweater"? Yeah, that's made me shudder many times thinking about it.

4:53 AM  
Blogger Forever Amber said...

I remember that Mary. I hadn't thought of it, until you mentioned it here though.

5:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home