Thursday, August 25, 2005

Breaking the Rules with Traditions

Do you have a tradition with your kids that "breaks the rules?" Did your parents have a tradition with you that "broke the rules?"

We all develop traditions with our families. I'm not talking about Movie Night Once A Month or Camping Every October or The Christmas Prayer Shared Each Year.

Remember those things you couldn't do as a kid. They were AGAINST THE RULES. Your parents wouldn't dream of letting you do them . . . drinking milk from the carton, going out to play barefoot, eating more than one piece of cake for dessert, etc.

I find myself at the grocery store at least twice a week. Where I used to make one large shopping trip every week or even sometimes bi-weekly, now, more often, I find myself in the store much more frequently buying smaller quantities. Anyhow, we don't do it every time we go to the store (since I go so frequently), but about every other week or so, during our trip to the grocery store, we purchase a small can of whipped cream. Before we even get home, we break out the can of whipped cream and spray it in our mouths for a tasty forbidden treat. Madison's mouth is so small it doesn't take much to fill it to capacity. When her little mouth is full to the point that she can't close it without white fluffy filling oozing out of her lips we both laugh at the silliness. This has become our rule breaking tradition. Am I teaching my daughter bad manners and poor habits? I don't think so. That's as silly as the theory that spanking your children teaches them to hit others. Poor behavior, bad habits, poor manners are not taught in any single lesson or example. They are taught through the culmination of our actions and interactions with our children and those collected examples of what they see in us throughout the day, everyday.

I encourage you, if you haven't already, develop a tradition with your kids, your friends, your parents, or whoever, that "breaks the rules." Whose rules? Yours, your parents', society's. It doesn't matter. Just do it. Rules and limitations are a good thing. I'm not rebelling here. I just think that too often we place too many rules and limitation on ourselves. Live a little. Break out the tub of ice cream and instead of using bowls, place it in the center of the table and give everyone a spoon!

4 Comments:

Blogger Girl said...

Yay!! This makes me smile : )

Thank you, Amber. You're daughter is very blessed.

--Girl

7:37 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

We have a fun “rule breaking” tradition in our family. When ever we visit a hotel the second after we open the door we drop our bags, run to the beds and jump until our hearts content.

Amber, Analynn and I have also shared whipped topping like you described. It is really fun to giggle with your children.

7:46 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

I haven't done anything like that. I think I'm too stiff. Maybe we'll go out and steal a car this afternoon...nah...we'll start small. Okay, Owen...they're on the swings...quick, grab that stroller and run!

7:57 AM  
Blogger Traci said...

Cool. I hadn't thought of this. But we love to be silly so I need to start something fun.

7:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home