Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Dear (insert Supervisor's name here):

Please accept this correspondence as a formal record of my disappointment in our latest pay increase. Greater than my disappointment in the amount allocated for my increase, is my disdain for the method used to come to this amount.

It is my understanding, per our discussion, that the firm used a "grid" method to reach the percentage of increase that would be offered to each employee. Your further explanation of this system left me with the understanding that our names were placed on a grid and then our current salaries were compared to the salaries for similar positions in our local market. To stay competitive with the local market, "appropriate" increases were determined.

I understand the analytical nature of our industry, however, I am not a number and I do not fit on a grid. I am a person with unique talents and abilities that I bring to the group. There is not a day that goes by where I am not complimented and reminded of how unique I am to the firm and how much I "bring to the table." As much I appreciate the verbal affirmation of the value I bring to the group, it is void when such affirmation is not backed up when it comes time to "evaluate" me for a pay increase. There was no evaluation of me, my work, or my talents for my pay increase, but instead only an evaluation of what my current salary is and what the market says it should be. The problem with that system is that I don't believe you could truly frame my particular job responsibilities (and those things I'm depended on that don't necessarily fall under my responsibilities) into a title or position that fits on your grid.

If this were my first year with the firm and I was still trying to find my "fit" here, I would not take issue with the amount allocated for my increase or for the method used to attain said amount. However, I've been with the firm, loyally, for nearly eight years now and have developed relationships here to the extent that many people choose to bring certain tasks to me (whether or not they are technically my responsibility) because, in their words, I am the only person they can trust. I could go on with a list of items to "sell" myself and what my value is to the firm, but I don't feel it is necessary. I believe the people I work with in our local office are well aware of my value. However, those responsible at the firm-wide level for evaluating pay increases find my value to be lackluster enough that I can be compared on a grid. I shutter to think that those in my office would agree that I (and all I do here) could be compared on a grid.

Respectfully,

Amber Hunter

7 Comments:

Blogger Tisra said...

Ouch. Did you get a response?

6:13 AM  
Blogger Forever Amber said...

I haven't actually submitted it yet. I typed it on my blog first. But I will submit it after I read it a few more times and make sure I'm not being too harsh.

6:30 AM  
Blogger Girl said...

Should I start looking for a job for you within my firm?? What do you want me to look for ;)

(Actually, I'm serious...depending on what you do...it might work out)

10:08 AM  
Blogger Forever Amber said...

Truth be told, they are afraid of losing me. That's why I'm so shocked by this recent revelation. They're always a little nervous that I may move back to Florida or find some great catch of a man and leave my job. They've all told me that I'm never allowed to leave. Really, I am liked in my office and truly appreciated. It's not the fault of my local office. They would never have done such a thing. Boston??? I love Nashville, but I'm always open to new adventures. I never say never.

11:53 AM  
Blogger Girl said...

My firm has offices in Nashville...let me know :)

1:18 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

I love it. I asked Kris if he read it and he did...I won't tell you what he said in hopes that he'll leave his own comment. Big, bigger and growing outragiously big corporations are so hard to work for. I love growth, I love the American way and competition but it is hard being the little guy among them. Stick out and make a noise Amber...I love what you have to say.

5:04 AM  
Blogger Amy Button said...

Wow! I have often thought things like that but have never actually written it down. I usually just gripe to Travis.

8:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home