Monday, October 10, 2005

Mowing and Reaping

Maintaining a household is a lot of work. Cleaning the house, staying on top of the laundry, cooking, mowing the grass, trimming shrubs, weeding walk-ways, not to mention other maintenance things that come up from time to time. . . painting, light bulbs, faucet repairs, etc., etc. I understand why people hire house keepers, lawn people, and nannies. I'd hire them too if I could afford to. I'd "rent a husband" to help me get my normal chores done, but I don't. I'm counting the days until Madison is old enough to truly make a fair contribution toward these household chores. Right now, she's responsible for keeping her room clean and it's nice that at least she's at the age now to do that. That's one room off my list. Now, as she gets a little older, maybe I can hold her accountable for cleaning the bathroom, and then the den, etc. Slowly, I'll get her cleaning the whole house. That will just leave the yard for me to do.

I'm straying from where I had intended for this post to go. I mow my grass. It's really not that big of a deal. I have 1/4 acre standard Nashville lot. It takes me around an hour to mow the front and back yard. A couple years ago, there was a sweet, very young (they were 19 and newly married) couple who lived next door to me. One day as I was coming home, stressed over the revelation that I had to mow the grass that day and it was already a full and stressful day, I pulled onto my street to find my front yard mowed. I instantly cried at the thoughtful and loving gesture that my young neighbor mowed my grass for me. I think the tears may have also been a release of the stress that was bound inside me that day. He didn't know that I was having a stressful day or that I was stressing even more about having to come home to take care of the yard. He just knew that it was a small gesture that anyone could appreciate. His timing was perfect.

I had returned the favor from time to time. Whenever I would mow my front yard, I'd just do theirs at the same time. They've since moved out and a new couple has moved in. I have continued this tradition. Whenever I mow my grass, if theirs is due and I'm not in a hurry to get somewhere, I'll go ahead and mow their front yard too. It warms my heart to know that while they're away I am secretly mowing their grass. They've only said something about it once as they were curious as to who was mowing their grass, but I don't need their thanks or praise. I know firsthand how awesome it feels to come home and realize that such a chore has been erased, so I'm happy to do it.

I believe what goes around comes around. We've all heard that saying, but truly, I believe it. As I've mowed my neighbor's yard countless times, I believe I'm seeing my returned blessing in the form of a friend working tirelessly in my back yard preparing the spot where we're going to put a pool. What we thought would only take a few days, has taken a month and a half and we're still not done. I could post mind numbing details as to what is taking so long and why this job has turned out to be so laborious, but just trust in knowing that I have truly been blessed in this situation.

So . . . go mow, and see what you may reap.

5 Comments:

Blogger Mary said...

Can i give you my address and you come over and mow my yard? It is very true that you reap what you sow, I am glad to know that it applies to mowing as well. Take care, Amber...

P

10:01 AM  
Blogger Tisra said...

Where are you at in the pool process?

6:44 AM  
Blogger Forever Amber said...

Still digging and leveling, but we're coming very close. I will have to take pictures and update everyone.

6:53 AM  
Blogger Amy Button said...

It's amazing how a small act of kindness can make such a difference. I never owned my house when I was single and I only had enough grass to use a weed eater on but doing everything is tough, I feel your pain.

8:40 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

I've thought about mowing my neighbors yard...she's a divorced mother of two, but then she pulled out her riding mower and was done in no time. I thought...maybe she should be mowing mine...me and the belly get a little hot out there. I did mow my neighbors yard a couple times at the old neighborhood. She had fallen and hurt herself pretty bad. I'm sure that I've reaped plenty from that...plus my dad has mown mine twice now this summer and do I ever appreciate it.

12:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home