Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Pockets Marie Parsons

That's what my name was going to be. No, really. I'm not kidding. In 1975, the year of my birth, my mom had named the unborn child she was carrying, Pockets Marie Parsons. My older brothers received biblical names, Joshua and Jacob. I don't know if it was the revelation of carrying a girl that sent my mom searching for an odd name or if she was under the influence of narcotics. Either case is very likely. Luckily for me, sometime before the day of my birth she met a woman with a daughter named Amber and my mom fell in love with the name as she had never heard it before. This chance encounter changed my name forever. I'd like to meet the other Amber's mother to thank you.

I've often imagined how my life would be different with a name like Pockets. Could you see the knick names I'd have in today's society. . . Polly Pocket, Hot Pocket, Pocket Rocket, to name a few.

There's not too much you can do with the name Amber. I think the worst teasing I received was in early elementary school, when some of the older elementary students (boys, of course) learned in science about Ambergris, a secretion from the sperm whale. . . essentially whale throw up. The boys found it amusing to call me Ambergris and to remind me repeatedly that it was whale throw up. Is that the best you can come up with? Really, look it up. Ambergris, albeit whale throw up, is quite valuable. Check out http://www.ambergris.co.nz/about.htm.

The Ambergris knickname didn't stick more than a few weeks and never spread further than those boys. Now, had my name been Pockets, I may not have survived adolescence to be typing this post now. I'm surprised that the Hollywood Celebrities haven't used that name for one of their spawn yet. Oh, the day they do, I will have the biggest laugh.

Nobody wants their child to have the most common name, but I think some people go overboard in trying to offer their child a "unique" name. Pockets sure is unique, but I'd prefer a slightly more common name and leave my personality to define me as unique.

5 Comments:

Blogger Girl said...

All of this is reminding me of the various nicknames I acquired...

But that would require divulging my name.

My first name is old....like Esther or Gerty. My last name ryhmes VERY easily with sucker and other less enticing names.

I grew up with SUPER frizzy hair that only stuck out an inch from my head (like baby fuzz, but in 6th grade) so I often got peach fuzz. There was 4-eyes, too.

My favorite was skunk cabbage...just because there was no connection at all exept the boys figuring out how fun it is to call someone that.

Oh...and your rhinestone comment on my blog made me LAUGH!! I used to fly a lot for my job and right after 9/11 I was on close, personal terms with the USAir security lady who felt me up every week.

1:20 PM  
Blogger Traci said...

Oh my. I thought I had heard them all. Thank heaven for Amber's mom. Why Pockets? That is so random.

4:30 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

I've never heard any alternate names for me...I was the third girl...they probably got tired of naming girls and just pulled one out of a hat.

5:25 AM  
Blogger Tisra said...

My name is strange, but I like it a lot better than Pockets!

7:20 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

you can imagine the teasing I got as a young teen. I actually had my eigth grade math teacher pull me aside one day. Seems he and his wife were having a boy and they were pondering the name "Peter" He asked me if I got teased because of the reference to the male member! I almost died of embarrasment. I told him the truth, which was no. I don't know if he named his son after me or not...

Bye, pockets

8:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home