Friday, October 28, 2005

Sierra Sodan

On Monday night, after tucking Madison into bed and leaving her room she called me back because she said she had something she needed to tell me. Usually, this would just be a bed time stalling tactic, but in this case she really did have something she wanted to share with me that was important. She began to tell me about Sierra, a friend and classmate. She told me that Sierra had been in a very bad car accident with her mom and brother and that she was seriously hurt and in the hospital. Her eyes filled with tears as she told me that Sierra was hurt the worst of the three and that her back is broken. We prayed about Sierra and her family that instant.

After speaking with parents who knew greater details of the situation, I realize just how serious Sierra is hurt. Sierra's mom was driving both the children from Mt. Juliet back toward their Donelson home, when she had a seizure (for the first time ever in her life!). It was during that seizure that she crashed into a pole. Sierra was indeed hurt the worst of the three. She did break her back and the seat belt cut her stomach and ruptured her intestines. She is in ctitical condition at the Children's Hospital under a fictitious name to keep the situation very private. She is in a drug induced coma currently and she is undergoing surgery today. I've heard another parent say that she's not expected to make it, but the school is not telling the children that.

On our ride home from school yesterday afternoon, Madison told me that the class is raising money to help Sierra's family. Not only are their medical expenses going to be astronomical, but the step-father has also had to take time off work to tend to his family's needs. Madison asked if we could take her piggy bank to the class to help with the effort to raise some money for the family. She went further to suggest that we take the big piggy bank (as she has a couple) because they needed every bit of help they could get.

I write this post, not to ask you to contribute toward this family (though your contributions would be welcomed if you chose to), but to ask you to pray for this family and for Sierra's miraculous recovery. I also write this post to just remind you (and myself as well) of how precious every moment in life is. I've thought of this family everyday this week since hearing of their tragedy and I can't begin to fathom how this situation has rocked their world, or how I would cope if I were in their shoes. If you've taken the time to read this post, I hope that you'll take an additional few minutes to say a quick prayer for Sierra and her family. Her brother, Logan, was treated and released and is staying with his maternal grandmother. Sierra's mother is still quite injured and remains in the hospital but a full recovery is expected for her.

I'll update my blog as I have new information regarding each of them.

Thank you, in advanced, for your prayers and consideration for this family.

4 Comments:

Blogger Tisra said...

Praying. For healing. For financial security. For God's grace and glory to swell around them. For rest. And praising God for friends like Madison.

6:03 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

How horrible. We will definitely pray. I have too many questions.

6:44 AM  
Blogger Tisra said...

Any new news?

6:33 AM  
Blogger Girl said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home