Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Eight years with the same employer. I moved to Nashville in 1997. I went on one interview with a headhunter who sent me out that same morning for an interview with an accounting firm. I started work with that firm two days later and have been there ever since.

So, for the fun of it, on Tuesday, I faxed my resume in response to an ad in the paper. The ad was nearly two weeks old already, so I truly wasn't too hopeful that I'd hear from them. I WAS WRONG! Only hours later, I received the call. On Wednesday, I sent a CD of samples of my various design work to the prospective employer and called them that afternoon as requested. So far, they love me and they haven't even met me. They want to meet with me Thursday (12/22), and the lady I talked to pretty much told me that I should expect to come in next week for a 2nd interview with her boss as she already knows that she will be recommending me for the position. WOW! There are two other candidates being recommended, but, from our conversation, it sounds like I'm at the top of the stack at this point, and she's already interviewed them and has only talked with me briefly on the phone. Providing I don't mess up my interview, I should stay at the top of the stack.

Can I actually leave the firm? Would I know what to do working for another employer? Could I leave my comfort zone and learn a whole new job, employer, colleagues, etc? So much going through my mind right now.

The job would be sooooooo close to my house and Maddie's school. I'm guessing it would be a significant pay increase. . . well, heck, it would have to be in order for me to even consider it.

What would the firm think if I put in my notice? Would they try to convince me to stay? Would they make me a new offer? Would they replace my position or just try to spread my responsibilities out? Could they actually learn to trust someone else the way they trust me? I wonder if I could find my replacement before I leave and still get the employee referral bonus??

Wild, wild stuff for me. I haven't even been on an interview in over 8 years. What do they ask? What are the winning answers? I've had a couple friends who've interviewed more recently than I have helping me with possible questions and scenarios in order to better prepare me for this meeting.

Update you more soon.

5 Comments:

Blogger Tisra said...

Wow. Wow. Wow. While this could very easily become overwhelming, it is also an extremely exciting thing. I will pray for you- that God's perfect plan gets played out and that all the right decisions are made with ease.

5:27 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Having been on the other side of the table so to speak, you surely have some idea as to what to say that will spark interest in an interview. I know you will command their interest as soon as you walk in. Can't wait to see what happens and as Tisra said...I will pray for you. It's so exciting.

9:07 AM  
Blogger Joe said...

from the "interview" manual from 1972. "Always have a lighter or matches at hand to light the cigarette of your interviewer."

from "Death of a Salesman.": Shine the backs of your shoes, and don't EVER whistle in the elevator.

10:28 AM  
Blogger Girl said...

Woah!! BIG stuff here!! Congrats, congrats!!

So, do you currently work for one of the 'big 4'?

10:30 AM  
Blogger Forever Amber said...

I'm not with the 'Big 4', but I'm within the top 10.

10:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home