Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Another year gone.

Another year begins. Time to evaluate the progress on our goals from last year and time to set new goals. I'm not a resolution person, but I do believe in having some goals . . . realistic goals. I don't get wrapped up in centering my life around goals. Last year I ended 2004 and entered 2005 with a goal of writing an article and having it published. Never met that goal, unless you consider my blogging to be "published" articles. I kept it in my mind all year, and due to one circumstance or the other, never did find the time to commit to seeing it through. So that goal remains on my "to do list" for 2006. I also made a personal goal of making at least five new friends. I'm happy to say that I more than met that goal. Other things that were accomplished this year without setting goals . . . I have a brand new kitchen completely designed by me. I have acquired a brand new career opportunity which I will start in less than 2 weeks. I've met someone that I've maintained interest in for greater than one or two dates. (That one's big for me.) I was nominated for Volunteer of the Year (out of over 900 volunteers) with Junior Achievement and made it to the top five finalists. My softball team won all three seasons. I took over the campus recruiting role for my office with no prior experience or training and made it the most successful campus recruiting year for us to date. I watched Madison graduate from Kindergarten. I turned 30 and it didn't kill me. It was a great year.

Enter 2006. New job on the horizon. What do I want to accomplish in the next 12 months? I want to earn the respect of the new company I'm going to work for and feel at the end of the year that they value me as much as the firm does now. I want to make at least five new friends. I want to maintain my commitment to the gym and regular, consistent fitness. I want to travel to either Chicago or NYC if even for just a long weekend. I want to complete my pool project. I still want to find the time to write my article and get it published. For now, I'll focus on leaving this job and learning a new one.

I love the beginning of a new year. It's a chance to start all over again regardless of what happened in the previous year. It's a new beginning. It's another chance. As we all do, I enter this new year with hopes and aspirations for great successes. Wish me luck!

8 Comments:

Blogger Mary said...

Who? Was it that nice guy at your house when you watched Owen? Mike, was it? So many good things and the one thing I focus on is your love life....

Seriously, I hope 2006 sees even more goals met and fulfillment achieved...God bless!

1:50 PM  
Blogger Girl said...

Good luck, Amber. Although you don't really need luck.

6:04 AM  
Blogger Tisra said...

"girl" is right. You don't need luck. You're a very determined person, and with God's guidance, you will achieve great things- probably far beyond these modest goals for 2006. Of this, I have no doubt.

6:13 AM  
Blogger Forever Amber said...

Yes, Mary. It is Mike. I'm glad you thought he was nice. You're too funny. I knew when I wrote that in there, it would catch your attention.

6:36 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

I meant to tell you I thought he seemed really nice and fun, and not a bad looking bloke at that. Is that how you spell bloke?

9:10 AM  
Blogger Forever Amber said...

According to m-w.com you have spelled bloke correctly. He is very nice, and a lot of fun. He keeps us all laughing. And, yes, I agree . . . not a bad looking bloke at all :) He was quite fond of little Owen. I think he was highly impressed with how well behaved and laid back he is for being a 2 year old boy. Owen had a good time with him as well. It was cute to watch them interact.

10:26 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It’s really good to hear about SO many wonderful things going on in your life.

I understand about the frustrations of setting goals and not completing them. Sometimes it can be so discouraging that you just give up, but you always seem to have such a good head on your shoulders. I know that if you put your mind to doing something then it will get done. Maybe not the moment you planned, but you will accomplish it!

8:00 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Amber,

Happy New Year!

Congrats on the job, the guy, and your goals for 2006. I felt priveledged to have met you this year, even if it was through the computer. I wish you all the best in 2006!

Peter

7:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home